What I Remember (and What I Don’t)

I got my wisdom tooth out last Thursday, and it went so much more smoothly than I expected and worried that it would. Here’s a short run-down of what my day was like. Things I remember are in bold. Things I don’t remember are not bold. Thanks to Dexter for taking care of me and filling in the many, many gaps.

At 7:20, I took some antibiotics (for when heart murmurs and dental procedures coincide) and some triazolam (to “relax” me before the procedure). We left home at about 7:30 and made it to the surgeon’s by about 7:45. I texted my parents to let them know we were on our way. I read my dad’s text back. Dexter and I planned to stop and get me a milkshake on the way home. I told him he should definitely get one for himself, too.

We checked in at the front desk and talked about whether he should come back with me. We saw a girl’s mom go with her, so Dexter decided to come with me. The nurse called me back. I sat down in the chair in the exam room and answered the nurse’s questions about my medication. I even said “clindamyacin” correctly when I told her I took the antibiotic. Dexter pointed out to me that the brand of the dental chair was “Dexta.” I leaned dangerously over the side of the chair, aware that I was way to woozy to be doing that. I was very careful and I didn’t fall. The doctor came into the room and the nurse escorted Dexter out.

They propped my mouth open, gave me some shots, and I heard some cracking while they had tools in my mouth. Then I heard, “We’re done.” I don’t think it took much more than 5 minutes.

Dexter came into the room and the nurse gave him (me) instructions about what to do. She mentioned a huge list of things I could eat on day 2, including a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. We walked to the checkout area and the receptionist said she’d send our bills to insurance. Dexter walked me out to the car and held onto me tightly although I didn’t seem like I thought I needed the help. I wanted to text my dad, so I did.

We drove down the street to A&W. Their drive-through window was out-of-order, so we parked at the gas station it was in. Dexter verified that I wanted a chocolate shake. I said, “Yeah, but I want to come in because I might want something else.” We walked (stumbled) into the gas station and found out that A&W didn’t open for another couple of hours. We got back in the car.

We drove to the McDonalds near our house and went through the drive-thru. There was a problem with the chocolate flavor, so I agreed to have a vanilla shake. Dexter ordered 2 small vanilla shakes. I remembered wanting to text my dad, so I asked Dexter if I had texted him yet. I didn’t really believe him when he told me I already did. I was confused about whether or not I had texted my mom, too.

We went home and I sat down on the couch and finished my shake. I sat my finished cup on the end table. I told Dexter I wanted to watch “Failure to Launch” because I didn’t think it would be very good, so I wouldn’t care if I fell asleep while I watched it. I asked for some ibuprofen and took some. Dexter put in the movie and I watched for about a minute and then fell asleep. I woke up, but dozed on and off for a while before falling asleep for real. When I was awake, I asked for ibuprofen several times and each time was surprised when Dexter told me that I’d already taken it. Dexter took out the dogs, and when he came back, I was sitting at his computer. He watched me update my facebook status to make sure it wasn’t too weird. I ate some pudding. I fell asleep for a long time. Dexter woke me up because I was drooling blood. Luke came home. The dogs and I napped some more. Watson and I snored on the couch while Fitz dream-barked on the stairs. I woke up to my phone ringing. It was my dad. Dexter called him back for me and I talked to him for a few minutes. I woke up (even though I was already awake?) and Dexter told me Keriann was on her way over. I ate some more pudding.

From this point on, I was coherent. I watched TV and rewatched a movie with Keriann. I ate more pudding, some applesauce, some lukewarm soup, and more pudding. I freaked out when Dexter told me what I didn’t remember. I called my parents and talked them for about 20 minutes. Right before getting off the phone, my dad asked me if I remembered talking to him around noon. I thought he was joking, but he wasn’t. I freaked out about that for a while.  I ate some leftovers and some Newman O’s. I took a Vicodin and waited around for it to kick in. My pain wasn’t too bad, but I never got sleepy. Dexter, exhausted from caring for a crazy woman, fell asleep very quickly.


3 thoughts on “What I Remember (and What I Don’t)

  1. That is awesome. I remember {or rather don’t} some crazy thing happening when I had my wisdom teeth pulled. Fun stuff!

  2. Bwahahahaha, hahaha, rofl!! OM, you need to write a book. I was crying with laughter! Oh man, haven’t laughed that much in a while.

I love to read your comments! Remember to be kind & respectful.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s